Donegal Women’s League – this week’s match results and reports

Here are all of the results and match reports from this week’s Donegal Women’s League matchups.

Senior Ladies Interleague Cup Quarter Final
Bonagee United bt Rashenny
It was Bonagee who advanced to the next round of the interleague cup after overcoming Rashenny in Dry Arch Park. It was Rashenny who opened the scoring after 30 seconds with Sarah O Donnell’s pace too much for the Bonagee backline as she got onto the end of a long ball before launching a rocket into the top corner. A minute later Bonagee equalised through Siobhan Sweeney as the home side began to find their rhythm. The first half was very much end to end and remained a physical battle in midfield for both sides. Bonagee creating further chances with Eimhear Sweeney, Deborah Kerrigan, Natalie Mc Fadden all on target for the home side and for the visitors Sarah O Donnell and Janine Gordon kept Catherine Fletcher on her toes. As the second half played out both sides made changes and play started to open up. Rashenny coming close and unlucky not to convert from that ever-threatening long ball but Bonagee added further goals through Zara Shorty, Caitlin Fletcher and Catherine Greier.

Under 12
Group 1
Lagan Harps 2 – 0 Bonagee Utd

This was a real tight affair from start to finish. Both defences were on top for most of the game with few clear-cut chances. The first half in particular was very tight with neither keeper too busy. The second half opened up a bit with Clodagh Kavanagh and Emily Mc Mahon starting to get on top for Lagan in midfield. Caoimhe Sweeney battled hard in front but was held up by Ava Price and Clodagh Gallagher. Leila Coyle kept Bonagee going in the middle and it looked like a scoreless draw. Especially with Ameila Gallagher doing well in the Bonagee goal. The turning point arrived when Lagan were awarded a penalty ten minutes from the end and Emily Mc Mahon scored. Bonagee kept going and Thea Rodgers and Kelsie Mc Menamin had to be alert to stop Ella Harvey and Eabha Gribben. Lagan sealed the win in the final minutes when Emily Mc Mahon got through and finished well. A well-balanced game throughout. Referee was Oisin Toye.

Letterkenny Rovers 3 – 1 Illistrin

Illistrin got of the the dream start when Amilea McLaughlin raced onto a long ball by Tayla Doherty. Rovers can thank Lily Gallagher for her double save from a penalty and the rebound as Illistrin pushed hard to extend the lead. Just before half time Caitlin McBrearty equalised after a great ball by Savanna Keys. Rovers came out strong in the second half with Scarlet Graham going close twice however Tayla Doherty saved well for Illistrin. Erin Rafferty blocked a good effort from Illistrin’s Eabha McKinney. Laila Devenney went close with a header following a corner. Mary Stan-Mako chances down a ball to pass to Caitlin McBreaty to take the lead for Rovers. As time was running out Savanna Keys got her goal after an evening of hard work. Great game of football by both teams with Nataila Zabillo standing out for Rovers and Aoife Doherty excelling for Illistrin

Group 2
Cappry Rovers A 1 – 0 Donegal Town

Dunfanaghy Youths 2 – 3 Gweedore Celtic
Callum Friel Park in Horn Head was the venue for this keenly contested game between Dunfanaghy Youths and Gweedore Celtic. Dunfanaghy started the brighter with Sophie Barber, Fiadh McGinley and Emily Black looking dangerous on the ball. Gweedore defended well but the breakthrough came in the 12th minute with a well – worked goal from Emily Black.
Dunfanaghy continued to put pressure on the Gweedore defence but they stood strong and it was 1-0 at the break.
Gweedore came out much stronger in the second half with fine performances from Enya Logue and Mia McGee among others. Dunfanaghy extended their lead to two, with a brilliant goal from Sophie Barber on 47 minutes.
Gweedore dug deep and were rewarded with a fine goal from Mia McGee which was followed two minutes later by her second, scored from the penalty spot.  The game went from end to end and in the dying minutes Gweedore snatched the winner from a corner, which was netted by Enya Logue. Well done to both sets of players for putting on a good entertaining game. Thanks also to referee George Montgomery

Group 3
Drumkeen United – Convoy Arsenal (Convoy win)

Raphoe Town 0 – 3 Finn Valley A
The girls from Finn Valley ran out comfortable winners in a game that started very evenly with both teams having a good chances. Raphoe almost opened the scoring after 10mins with Catherine Caldwell drawing a good save from the Finn Valley Keeper. With some good football on display from both sides the Finn Valley girls eventually broke the deadlock close to half time. Despite a batting performance from the Raphoe girls, Finn Valley showed their experience and composure and added further goals in the second half.

Group 4
Dunfanaghy Youths 2 – 3 Gweedore Celtic

Keadue Rovers 2-0 Gweedore United A

Keadue welcomed Gweedore United to Central Park on Tuesday evening and the visitors would have been looking for revenge following an opening night 4-0 defeat to Keadue at the start of the league. United had strengthened considerably from the opening night and would have fancied their chances against a Keadue side missing a number of regulars. It was the home side though who played all the football and despite a strong wind behind them United struggled to get out of their half. There was no goals in the first half thanks to the outstanding performance from Sheena Ferry in the Gweedore United goal. In the 2nd half Keadue again had all the possession and took the lead when Ciara Gallagher scored a brilliant free kick from the edge of the box. Gweedore pushed forward trying to get an equaliser and the home side had keeper Robyn Duffy to thank for keeping them ahead with a great save from Gweedore Celtics only chance in the game. Keadue were launching attack after attack but with Gweedores numbers in defence and the outstanding Ferry In goals, found it hard to add to the score. With 5 minutes left Keadue made the game safe when following a brilliant move which ripped United apart, Jessica Keys scored following a brilliant cross from Shauna McGovern. Keadue almost added to their score with 2 late chances from Lena O Donnell but again Ferry was in top form. Referee Seimi Ferry had a brilliant game in the middle and both teams served up a great advert for football in front of the massive crowd.

Group 5
Glenree United 3 – 2 Milford United
On a beautiful evening for football, Glenree United entertained Milford United in the return game in Group 5 of the Under 12s Donegal Women’s League. The first half was a tight affair with chances at a premium. Eilis brought a great save out of the Milford keeper who was outstanding all night. Erin Coyle and Erin Caldwell also went close. Half time score was Glenree United 0 Milford United 0. Glenree open the scoring with a good finish from Eilis and Erin Coyle doubled the lead with a close range finish. Aoife made it three nil with a shot that took a deflection off an unlucky Milford player. Glenree hit both posts and the crossbar during the game and were denied a number of times by some excellent goalkeeping. Milford never gave up and scored two late goals through Grace Murray and Tessa Grier. All 16 Glenree girls got plenty of game time and are improving each week. Referee Matthew Hull had a great game letting the game flow. Final Score was Glenree United 3 Milford United 2.

Swilly Rovers – Mulroy Academy (Mulroy Win)
Great game of football played tonight by our Swilly Rovers u12 girls as they took on a strong Mulroy Academy u12 side. Match started evenly with both sides creating plenty of chances from the midfield. Swilly’s captain Ella Coyle partnering Holly Sweeney in midfield put in plenty of challenges to give Swilly some touches in the final third. Mulroy however had their own midfield engine with Alice Gibbons having the confidence to go at the Swilly defense at speed. The back line of Alannah Quaile, Meabh Kennedy and Cliodhna Coyle protected goalkeeper Rebecca Mc Bride excellently but on the break unfortunately none could manage Alice pace and skill and she took her chances when they came. Kiri Sweeney, Abbie Boyce and Anna Pshenychna led the Swilly line and did create chances but nothing came of it in the first half. A few changes in the second half saw the game opened up a little. Rebecca came onto her favoured wing position and caused lots of problems for the Mulroy defense. Cliodhna Coyle also moved up to wing to let Lucy Martin take over at left back and both girls created chances down that side in second half and Cliodhna coming very close to her first goal. Mulroy however had the speed and guile to take their chances and Alice and Mia Carlin both added to Mulroys tally. Swilly however did get some back with Anna Pshenychna taking her chance well and Ella Coyle also making a fine weaving run and finishing expertly from a tight angle. Late changes for Swilly saw Eleanor Gorney and Lucia Gorney come on and make themselves busy. Great team effort but in the end Mulroy were the stronger.  Thanks to Mark Peoples and all the Mulroy staff for giving us a good game and to Sinead Hagan for officiating.

Group 6
Ballyraine Celtic – Drumbar United B (Ballyraine win)
Ballyraine Celtic took on Drumbar United in the DWL U12B league. After a frantic opening period where both teams had chances, it was Ballyraine who took the lead after a well taken goal by Eva O’Toole. This was quickly followed by a second Ballyraine goal scored by Lama Yousif. Ballyraine made it 3-0 before half time courtesy of another excellent goal by Maisie Duffy. After the break Eva O’Toole scored twice to complete her hat-trick to make the scoreline 5-0. Following some great play by Drumbar United, Lily Patterson got their well-deserved goal. Lamar Yousif completed the scoring. Both goalkeepers made some fantastic saves in the match. Thanks also to referee Michael Lagan. An enjoyable evening was had by all.


Gweedore United 4 – 1 Letterkenny Rovers

Gweedore United U12 B Development team hosted Letterkenny Rovers on Tuesday evening. Gweedore got off to a great start with an effort from Muireann Doohan hitting the crossbar. It wasn’t long afterwards until Gweedore broke the deadlock in the 15th minute when a through ball from Mary Jo Mc Hugh found Riona Scanlon who slotted the ball home under the Letterkenny Rovers Keeper Kerry Wade. Muireann Doohan made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute with a shot from outside the box. In a first half the home side had a lot of possession and chances and Leah Kissane made it 3-0 when she fired home from close range in the 28th minute to make it 3-0 at half time. After the restart Letterkenny Rovers regrouped and started to play some nice passages of play and their efforts payed off when Louise Mc Gahey found the net after a goalmouth scramble to make the score 3-1 in the 40thminute. Following that goal, Sophie O Donnell, Angel Abu and Madison Mullen had decent chances well saved by the home keeper Caoilann Gallagher. It was a closely contested second half with both teams trying to play some nice passing football. Gweedore sealed the victory when Leah Kissane was played through by Niamh Mc Ginley and slotted the ball past Kerry Wade in the Letterkenny Rovers goal to make the final score 4-1 to the home side. Good team performances all around by both teams in an entertaining match. Thanks to Kyran Glennon for reffing.


Finn Valley W B 3 – 5 Cappry Rovers B
Cappry Rovers continued their winning start to the season with a hard-fought victory against an ever-improving Finn Valley U11 team on Tuesday evening. Both sides had chances in the opening exchanges, but it was the visitors who took the lead after a fine solo effort from Fia McNulty. Cappry got their 2nd after a quick break to go further in front but the home side finished the half strongly and were rewarded with a lovely, dinked finish from Saoirse McMenamin after good work from Hannah Browne. The visitors came roaring out of the blocks at the start of the second half, another McNulty goal was quickly followed by 2 quick fire finishes to leave Finn Valley facing a daunting task. However, the girls rallied well and an own goal was quickly followed by Saoirse McMenamin’s second of the game to set up a grandstand finish. Saoirse almost got her hat trick in the dying minutes, but the Cappry keeper made an excellent save down to her right to deny her and leave the final score Finn Valley 3 Cappry Rovers 5. Both sides can go home happy after a very entertaining encounter.

Gweedore United B 4 – 1 Letterkenny Rovers B


Kilmacrennan Celtic 1- 1 Ballyraine Harps
On a perfect evening for football at Lurgy Park both teams served up a wonderful game of football in front of the large crowd of spectators in tonight’s u12 league friendly. Ballyraine started brightly and were rewarded after 10 minutes when the impressive Maria Wesnelska poked home after a ball over the top of the Kilmacrennan defence wasn’t cleared and Maria made no mistake from inside the box. Kilmacrennan grew into the game after this and after a spell of possession in the Ballyraine half they equalised, a long throw from Jorjamae sent Hayley through on goal and the midfielder steadied herself before firing home into the bottom corner. The 2nd half was an evenly balanced affair with both teams trying hard to score again, Kilmacrennan being denied a winner when Ballyraine keeper Holly made a brilliant full-length dive to push Saorlaith’s shot around the post. All square at the final whistle in an excellent game refereed well by Kevin O Donnell.


Under 16

Group 1
Raphoe Town 3 – 0 Ballyraine
Three points secured with three goals in Drumineney. Raphoe girls out of the box early with a number of fine shots on goal with a lot of play in the Ballyraine half. However, it took thirty minutes for the girls to break the deadlock as Hannah Goudie hit a corner and no one connected and it trickled inside the front post. Ballyraine tried a few times to send a long ball through for Clodagh Patton but full back Nakita Frizzell had it well covered as did Kelsey Parke in goals. Good combination play from Cassie Tinney and Aine O’Flanagan released midfielder Clíodhna Kelly who set up Erin O Donnell at the back post. Erin steadied herself and calmly placed the ball low. 2-0 after 49 mins Ballyraine continued to work hard and their goalkeeper had some fine saves. Erin got her second in the 59th minute again Aine combining with winger Kayla McSorley who cut back nicely for Erin to slot home.

Letterkenny Rovers 1 – 1 Bonagee Utd

In a high tempo match which saw the game switch from side to side, Amy Moore broke through for Rovers on 16 mins with her shot coming for the post. Aisling McGinley opened the scoring for Rovers on 34 mins. Bonagee equalised through Maria McLaughlin on 67 mins. Both keepers were the heroes of the night with Rovers’ Caithlin McBrearty saving a penalty and in the last minute a snapshot from Aisling McGinley, Ruth Hopkins pulled off an amazing diving save for Bonagee.
Rover’s Leina Myburgh and Aoibhe Rafferty and Tara Gildea and Aoife Porter for Bonagee also having a great game.


Group 2

Drumbar United 4 – 0 St Catherine’s
Drumbar hosted St Catherine’s on a sunny Wednesday evening and the visitors were quickest out of the blocks putting the Drumbar defence under pressure in the opening exchanges. Drumbar withstood the early onslaught and were fortunate to get in front with a deflected own goal. St Catherine’s were a constant threat down both flanks and kept the Drumbar back four on their toes. Sarah Colhoun eventually found space to add a second Drumbar goal with a fine strike to make it 2-0 at the break. The Drumbar girls upped the tempo in the second half and the excellent Michaela Hannnafin added the third after great work down the left flank. St Catherine’s almost scored when the Drumbar defence was breached but the ball trickled just wide of the Drumbar post. Laura Quinn added a fourth with a fine strike from distance to wrap up the game for the home side. Player of the match for Drumbar Cora Cassidy had a great game at left back, making tackles and winning possession to help Drumbar to the win.

Cappry Rovers 2 – 1 Convoy Arsenal
Cappry hosted Convoy in a very entertaining game at the riverside on Wednesday evening. It was end to end action in the first half with both teams displaying some excellent attacking football. Hannah McGowan had a couple of half chances for Cappry while Rihea Parke and Leah Doonan were lively for Convoy in attack. Cappry broke the deadlock through Hannah McGowan who weaved her way through the Convoy defence and fired it into the net. Cappry doubled their lead soon after when India Falls won the ball back high up the field and broke through the centre to fire high into the net. Convoy to their credit didn’t let their heads drop and got a goal back before half time when an excellent ball was played in behind to Jenna Doherty who made no mistake slotting into the corner of the net. Cappry started the brighter in the second half, Megan Doherty and Hannah McGowan linked well to create a chance that was well saved by net minder Ella McCready. Anna May McGlynn nearly got on the end of a cross that was scrambled away after some strong Convoy defending. Likewise, Cappry defended well as a unit as Convoy continued to go forward. Convoy probably thought they had their equaliser close to the end but Amy Doonan’s effort just went over the bar. Cappry held on for an excellent home win.


Group 3
Illistrin 4 – 2 Mulroy Academy

Milford Utd 3-1 Keadue Rovers
Milford took the 3 points in this game which was changed to Swilly Park. Both teams were somewhat cagey for the first 15 minutes with both defences having the upper hand. Milford began to put a few passes together and on 23 minutes Chloe Blaney latched onto a great through ball and slotted home from 10 yards. As Milford are prone to doing, they completely switched off and let Toni Boyle stroll straight through the middle to equalise. Milford went ahead just before the half when Chloe Blaney scored her second. Milford played some really good football in the second half and missed some good opportunities before Erin Nelis scored with 20 minutes left. Keadue were dangerous on the break but didn’t really create anything to get back into the game.


Under 14

Group 1
Donegal Town B 0 – 2 Ballyraine
It was a beautiful evening for football at the hospital field Donegal Town this evening for the fixture. Both teams put in great performances and the sides went in level at half time. It looked like the game was going to finish a draw with some brilliant defending from the Donegal Town back line and a great performance by goalkeeper Leanna. But Ballyraine scored 2 late goals to seal the victory through a long range free kick by Grace McGlynn and a neat finish by Eimear Sweeney. A great evening of football well done to both teams.

Raphoe Town – Bonagee United (Bonagee win)
Bonagee took the points in Drumineney but an inspiring performance from the Raphoe girls. Lylah Kelly was excellent in goals tonight making some fine saves with quick reaction times,as Bonagee pressed high from the start to put our girls under pressure. Bonagee went one up around the 15min mark with our girls going straight up the field and pulling one back through Lily Rose Doherty. Bonagees experience proved too strong for our ladies but their resilience and learning prevail as each week they take away more and more and their individual and team performances improve. A great team effort.
Good Luck to Bonagee in the next stages.

Letterkenny Rovers 2 – 1 Lagan Harps
With the good weather and lovely evening both teams put on the entertainment for the crowd in Leckview last night. On 11 mins Faye Casburn scored for Rovers with a shot from wide on the right after a through ball by Aisling McGinley. Amy Moore set up Savannah Keys to score with a strong shot from wide on the left. Rovers almost got a third when Aisling McGinley broke through, but Ciara Cullen saved well. Lagan was also dangerous going forward and almost grabbed a goal back before halftime when Sinead Mc Loughlin broke through after a great run, but Ciara McDaid got across with a great tackle. Lagan kept the pressure on in the second half and were rewarded for the efforts on 46 mins when Emily Mc Mahon got onto a corner to score from close range. Both defences were solid throughout the game and backed up with outstanding displays of goalkeeper by Caithlin McBrearty for Rovers and Ciaran Cullen for Lagan. Amy Moore was outstanding for Rovers with Amy Lateff the standout player for Lagan.

Group 2
Convoy Arsenal 4 – 1 Cappry Rovers
The sun certainly shone in Orchard Park tonight when U14 girls took on Cappry Rovers. It was a close battle from the start and the first half could have gone anyway. Cappry were coming hard at the Convoy defence and our girls were lucky to not let anything in. The score was 0-0 going in at half time on a very warm night.  The second half came with an explosion. Convoy girls came out meaning business. With a superb hattrick from Jenna Doherty and a lovely goal from Grace McBride the Convoy lassies were well and truly on cloud nine. The last few minutes brought a few funny decisions, but the Convoy girls will be happy enough to go away with a great victory. Well done to Cappry Rovers for giving it all tonight with small numbers in serious heat. Girls, you did an incredible job. Stand out player was Ranu who did an incredible job man marking her player preventing any damage being done to our scoreline.

St Catherines – Donegal Town

Drumbar United – Finn Valley


Group 3
Keadue Rovers 2-0 Glenea United
On a fabulous evening for football, Keadue Rovers u14 girls hosted Glenea United and both teams served up a great spectacle for the large crowd in attendance. Keadue were out of the blocks quickly and took the lead on 4 minutes when Maria Mcgee finished brilliantly after a fine move. Keadue continued their pressure and went close through Rebecca Reestang, Molly McDyer, Charlee Tracey and Maria Mcgee but found Friel in the Glenea goals equal to all their efforts. Glenea were starting to get a bit of relief from the constant pressure but on 16 minutes Maria Mcgee got her 2nd with a brilliant volley after a great through ball from Ella Bonner. Keadue wasted a few chances to add to the score before half time. In the 2nd half both teams made numerous subs, but the game continued at a frantic pace with both defences doing well. Keadue had further chances from Ella Bonner and Ella Campbell, but more fine goalkeeping kept the score at 2-0. A very sporting game with 2 fine teams reffed well by Dessie Mclaughlin

Gweedore United 0 – 4 Gweedore Celtic
This local derby game played on a glorious Friday evening at the PSGD ground saw the visitors claim all 3 points with a good performance and a brace of goals in each half. Both sides started well in a good open game and the visitors scored in the 18th minute when Áine Ní Fhearraigh finished well from 10 yards to make it 1-0. United were pushing for an equaliser but the Celtic defence led by Niamh Ferry who was outstanding on the night stood firm. Eabha Campbell made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute when she lobbed the keeper from close range. United pushed to get one back with both Lily Rodgers and Lucie Boyd having good chances but were unlucky not to finish on each occasion with Cliodhna Ferry doing well in goals for Celtic. In the second half the home side pushed hard to get on the score sheet, however Niamh Ferry was excellent to keep them out. Lily Rodgers and Ciara Mc Fadden had a number of chances but were unlucky not to score. As United pressed, the visitors found an opening at the other end with decent chances well saved by debutant goalkeeper Tríona O Donnell. However, they got 2 good goals with Síofra Campbell scoring both in the 57th and 63rd minutes to secure the 3 points for the visitors. It was a good battle from start to finish, with Ciara Mc Fadden playing well for United and Niamh Ferry excelling for the visitors on the night.
Referee: Seimí Ferry

Group 4
Illistrin – Swilly Rovers (Illistrin win)

Milford Utd 1-1 Kilmacrennan
The spoils were shared on a fantastic evening in Moyle View. This was using the cliche literally a game of two halves. Milford were the better team in the first half and deserved their lead when Ria Hardiman scored from close range after a well-worked corner. Milford had a couple of other chances when through but were unable to find a second through some resolute defending. Kilmac came out much stronger in the second half and Milford began to wilt in the heat with Megan McGinley keeping them at bay. Kilmac equalised when Cate Cameron played the captain’s role striding through the middle and firing home from 10 yards. Kilmac pushed for the winner, but Milford held out with a draw a fair outcome.

Donegal Women’s League – this week’s match results and reports was last modified: May 11th, 2024 by Staff Writer

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *