Donegal League – this week’s results and reports

Donegal League – this week’s results and reports

Here are all of the results and match reports from this week’s Donegal League action.


Friday 1st March 2024-03-03
Glencar Inn Saturday Division One
Kildrum Tigers Reserves 3 v 2 Cappry Rovers Reserves
(No Report Submitted)

Saturday 2nd March 2024
Glencar Inn Saturday Division One
Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2 v 0 Glenea United Reserves
With both teams in need of the points this was a real 6-pointer and it was the home team that started the brighter, dominating both possession and territory and forcing the visitors to defend deep in their own half. Oisin Harkin and Eoghan Quinn both went close to opening the scoring before the breakthrough came, a flowing Kilmacrennan move down the right saw the Glenea keeper punch clear and the ball fell to veteran Michael Mc Laughlin on the edge of the box and he expertly curled home from 25 yards for a goal that deserved to win any game. Kilmacrennan continued to push forward and ended the half one up. Glenea started the 2nd half in a more determined fashion and their direct approach started to cause the home defence some big problems, forcing a series of corners. The Kilmacrennan rear-guard held firm on several occasions with Owen Browne particularly impressive. With 20 minutes to go the home team secured the points, a brilliant crossfield ball from 16-year old Ciaran Conaghan split the Glenea defence to release Toby Taylor and his pull back found Mc Laughlin on the edge of the 6-yard box and he coolly slotted home to give the home team a deserved three points. A battling effort from the visitors with Michael Mc Laughlin, Owen Browne and Mark Gallagher impressing for the home team. Referee: Gerard Devine

Donegal Town Reserves 1 v 3 Glencar Celtic
(No Report Submitted)

Fintown Harps AFC 2 v 3 Oldtown Celtic
In wet and wintry conditions at PAIRC Acla the league leaders Oldtown Celtic started the brightest having a great opportunity on 4 minutes but Friel put it over the crossbar, a big let-off for Fintown. Oldtown kept the pressure on but Fintown’s Aaron Mc Glynn had a great chance, his shot going just wide. With their next attack Oldtown took the lead, Moe Friel putting Oldtown one up on ten minutes. Fintown responded with Dermot Galliger and Declan Roper getting to grips in the midfield battle. On 18 minutes, they were awarded a penalty by Referee Damien Mc Fadden when Aaron Mc Glynn got taken down inside the box. Keelan Mc Monagle stepped up and cooly slotted it away to bring the game level at 1-1. The confidence was up and Fintown really had Oldtown rattled but the half finished level. The second half started well for both teams. Oldtown got their second goal on 55 minutes through Ciaran Gibson. Five minutes later Kevin Mc Grath put Oldtown 3-1 up, beating the offside trap and making no mistake finding the bottom corner. It looked like the game was getting away from Fintown but to their credit they never gave up and on 75 minutes, with a great powerful run, Keelan Mc Monagle, assisted by Shane Mc Devitt, found space to cross to Aaron Mc Glynn who found the target and set up an exciting closing spell. Oldtown are well structured however and they saw the game out to take home the points.

Keadue Rovers Reserves 2 v 1 Arranmore United
Keadue Reserves tightened their grip on 2nd place in the league table with this hard-fought win over neighbours Arranmore United at Central Park. Played in horrible conditions, with heavy showers and a strong wind throughout, both sides tried to play decent football and it was a credit to them. Open play though was quite limited and chances were mostly of a set-piece variety. In the tenth minute, a bit of good play from Oisin Mc Kelvey was rewarded when he made his own goal with some neat skill and a long distance shot to the net from well outside the area. The lead was doubled on the half hour, this time from Ethan Mc Caffrey who was playing in a more advanced role in midfield, when like the first goal, it was a long-range attempt again, this time coming off the post to make it 2-0 to the hosts. Arranmore had the wind in the second half. Keadue added some fresh legs, but possession was mostly Arranmore’s in the second half, so Keadue had to be aware and adopted a more defensive set up as the game went off. The visitors were lively on both wings, getting in some good crosses and forcing Keadue keeper Aaron Mc Cafferty to sniff out some openings. There was a brief interruption in play as heavy rain led to both teams going back to the dressing rooms for a few minutes and on resumption, the home side seemed to settle more in the last twenty minutes. Arranmore though did score on eighty-four minutes, when some good work down the left wing led to a cross to the right side of the area where Marty Mc Garrigle blasted home for 2-1. Despite the pressure from the visitors, it was Keadue who had the last chance of the game when good work by sub Oran Gallagher led to a cross which was cleared off the line while there was a last minute free kick by Ethan Mc Caffrey which was blocked and that was the last action of the game. A decent tie between these two teams, who meet again at the end of the month. Another win for Keadue Reserves who have now notched up 8 wins in a row. Good team effort from both sides. Referee: Con McLaughlin.

Strand Rovers 2 v 2 St. Catherines Reserves
An absolutely miserable day in Strand Park with strong winds and torrential downpours making it very difficult for both teams. Strand took the lead after 30 minutes when they played a few passes around the St Catherine’s box and the ball was passed to Aaron Ward who made no mistake, finishing it low and hard into the far corner. Both teams had a few chances to get the next goal but it was St Catherine who struck next when the referee gave the away side a penalty after James Mc Cole fouled their midfielder who was played in behind the Strand defence. Their captain James Callan made no mistake hitting it low to the left bottom corner making it 1-1 at half time. The second half got underway with both sides coming out strong. A long ball was cleared up the field and when the Strand defence failed to clear it JP Mc Guinness nipped in and finished it past Cormac Hanlon to the Strand net. The home side’s heads fell and they pulled out of the game a little but when a corner was delivered into the box by Cainan Mc Daid it pin-balled about their box and fell to the inform Aaron Ward who stuck again for his and Strands’ second goal of the day. Both teams pushed for a winner with some great shots but none succeeded and the game finished 2-2. Referee: Barry Tourish


Old Orchard Saturday Division Two
Castlefin Celtic Reserves 6 v 2 Ballybofey United Reserves
Castlefin secured a vital 3 points in Division Two after a convincing victory over neighbours Ballybofey.
The hosts didn’t have it all their own way when the visitors took the lead but the home side hit back through a Reece Gallagher hat-trick. Cathal Kennedy rifled home a fourth just before the break to give the home side a comfortable lead. A Tomas Gamble strike continued the scoring for Castlefin in the second half. Ballybofey pulled a goal back and then Shaun Kennedy finished off the scoring for the hosts.

Gweedore Celtic Reserves 0 v 3 Drumoghill F.C. Reserves
(No Report Submitted)

Milford United Reserves P v P Drumbar United
(No Report, Match Postponed)

Ramelton Mariners 2 v 0 Swilly Rovers Reserves
The Mariners went top of the table with a well-deserved win at home to local rivals Swilly Rovers. The Mariners went up early when Evan Hewitt played through Fionn Robinson who finished well into the bottom corner. Hewitt followed up quickly with a goal of his own that beat Swilly keeper Jamie Blaney and rolled over the line. Swilly fought to get back into the game but Mariners’ keeper Dylan Sweeney was equal to everything Swilly threw at him. The second half was very cagey with both backlines being tested but both stood firm as the game ended 2-0 sending the Mariners to the top of the table.

Finn Travel Saturday Division Three
Erne Wanderers 0 v 3 Letterkenny Rovers Reserves
The Rovers got the better of the Wanderers on Saturday afternoon as the Letterkenny lads claimed all three points. Goals from Nugent (2) and Welles decided the destination of the points in this one. Referee: George Clinton.

Gweedore United Reserves 0 v 4 Lagan Harps Reserves
Lagan Harps provided the opposition for Gweedore United on a bitterly cold and windy day at the
Gweedore Pobalscoil. It was evident as early as the 3rd minute that Harps intended to apply the
Counter-attack against United. Harps’ Ciaran Quinn played an excellent pass to put his teammate
Damien Mc Fadden one on one with United’s keeper Cian Gallagher who denied him from capping
off a great move. Another good move from Harps resulted in Cian Gallagher pulling off another great
save against Ross Hamlyn. The home side began to grow into the game and they had an excellent
chance to take the lead on the 15th minute. Ownie Gallagher’s long ball found Teagan Coyle and his
shot went agonisingly wide past the Harps left hand post. The Gweedore men had a series of
chances to score first, Dean Collum picked out Ronan O’Donnell and his shot was saved by the Lagan
keeper Kai Browne. The two combined again down the righthand side and Ronan O’Donnell’s effort
went just over the Harps crossbar. United’s defence were keeping a good line against a very
dangerous Harps’ team. Just when the home side were beginning to gain the upper hand, they fell
behind in the 37th minute. Harps won a free-kick, Ciaran Quinn’s free-kick was headed by Ross
Hamlyn to his teammate Connor Quinn and he thumped the ball into the top corner of the net from
just inside the United box. The Gweedore men suffered a further set-back in the 41st minute as a
Harps’ counterattack breached their defence. Ciaran Quinn picked out Ross Hamlyn who found
himself one on one with the United keeper and he slotted it under Cian Gallagher’s legs to make it
0-2. Gweedore United’s Caoimhin Lynch free-kick in the 43rd minute went just over the Lagan
crossbar. In the 45th minute, Harps were awarded a penalty and from the resulting spot kick, Drew
Dowds made it 0-3. The contest was effectively over on the 48th minute when another counter
attack by Harps, Ross Hamlyn squared the ball to Damien Mc Fadden and he slotted the ball past
Cian Gallagher to put the visitors four up. Gweedore United tried to get back into the game, Ownie
Gallagher’s free-kick was saved by Kai Brown in the 56 minute. Caoimhin Lynch had two quick
successive shots that were just over the crossbar in the 65th and 66th minutes of the game. The Lagan
men had the chance to make it 0-5 in the 72nd minute from another counter-attack when Ross
Hamlyn picked out Caolan Crossan who found himself one on one with Cian Gallagher and the
United keeper produced a great save. In the 85 minute, a counter-attack by the Gweedore men
almost saw them grab a consolation goal but Teagan Coyle’s effort was saved by Kai Brown. Cian
Gallagher, Ownie Gallagher, Caoimhin Lynch and Ronan O’Donnell all produced good performances
for United. For Harps Ross Hamlyn, Damien Mc Fadden, Drew Dowds and Connor Crossan were all very
influential. Referee: Rory O’Gorman

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Kildrum Tigers 4 v 0 Rathmullan Celtic
Two goals either side of half time give the home side a comfortable three points in the end.
A game played in great spirits but difficult conditions, it was James Mc Nulty who fired Kildrum in front.
The home side added a second when Brian Breslin was quickest to react inside the box.
Rathmullan’s half got worse as star man “Sparky’ was forced off after suffering an injury.
After half-time Kildrum added two more fine strikes from Frank Mc Brearty and William Lynch.

Sunday 3rd March 2024
Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division
Castlefin Celtic 2 v 2 Milford United
Castlefin and Milford played out an entertaining draw in Castlefin on Sunday. In a first half of few chances both goals in the opening half came from set pieces, firstly Castlefin’s Dean Kelly poked home and Johnny Logue got the leveller for Milford. In the second half both goalkeepers pulled off a string of fine saves but were unable to deny a Corrie Lee Bogan strike for the hosts and a late Cathal Mc Gettigan header for the visitors.

Gweedore Celtic 1 v 2 Fanad United
(No Report Submitted)

St. Catherines 1 v 3 Keadue Rovers
There was a competitive edge to this game right from the start with both teams duelling strongly for a foot hold in midfield but Mark Forker for the visitors was shining brightest as he won the lion’s share of possession and drove his team on with visionary passing from the centre circle. It was the home team though who took the lead on 31minutes amid what could only be described as a scrappy goal-mouth scramble, the ball eventually nudged over the line by Conor Doherty as he followed in from a corner-ball from the opposition’s right. The lead lasted three minutes as a mix of poor goalkeeping plus defending gave Martin Ferry an easy headed finish, an equaliser that would keep the scores at one each for the half time break. Keadue started the second half the better team with neat one touch possession football that would see Peter Mc Gee cut loose through the Saints’ defence on several occasions and the home crowd could sense their team was struggling to hold on. The inevitable arrived on 79 minutes when a floated free to the back post of the home team was neatly met by the head of Jordan Saville and although it was questionable as to whether he was offside or not, Patrick Martin allowed the goal to stand and a 2-1 lead for Rovers. A fine performance from the away team was rounded off with a third goal on 82 minutes when substitute Aaron Neily met a low cross from the left and secured a deserved away victory for the visitors.
The home team will know they were not at their best and will have to pick themselves up for the last two League fixtures of the season.

Swilly Rovers 1 v 2 Kilmacrennan Celtic
Kilmacrennan Celtic secured victory in the battle against Swilly Rovers. Swilly faced the game with significant absences, missing seven regular players due to suspension, injuries, and other commitments. Kilmacrennan also had a couple of players unavailable. The opening goal came on the 15th minute when Owen Brown’s cross deflected off a Swilly defender into the net. Both sides had close chances with Ian Ward for Swilly and Conor Black for Kilmacrennan going close. Sam Harvey extended Kilmacrennan’s lead with a fine solo effort in the 30th minute. In the second half, Swilly suffered two injuries, but continued to fight hard. Shane Mc Namee got one back for Swilly in the 80th minute, finishing well after a superb through ball from Michael Kerr. Paul Bradley’s excellent performance throughout the match contributed to Kilmacrennan’s success as they left Swilly Park with all three points. Referee: Mick Langan.

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One
Bonagee United 1 v 1 Donegal Town
The visitors took the lead on five minutes when a strike from twenty-five yards by David Duignan was saved by Carr but the ball fell to David Graham and he scored from six yards. The next real chance came on thirty-four minutes when a great strike on goal from Ian Campbell from thirty yards went just wide of the post. Jordan Armstrong and Dean Larkin had a few strikes on goal but nothing to bother Mc Mullan in the Donegal goal. The home side levelled the score on sixty-four minutes when after great play down the left from Jordan Armstrong, he crossed the ball into the box and Fintan Hassan fired home from six yards. The visitors were always a threat on the attack and a great effort from Ian Campbell from thirty yards on seventy-eight minutes went just over the bar and three minutes later he sent a screamer of a shot past the post. Mc Mullan in the visitor’s goal had to make a few decent saves from Aaron Wasson on eight two and Dan O ‘Donnell on eighty-seven. Team effort by both sides. Referee: Stephen Laid.

Cappry Rovers 6 v 0 Letterbarrow Celtic
Cappry opened the scoring mid-way through the first half when Peter Sweeney scored from a Conor Mc Daid through ball. Cappry made it 2 when Jack Burke Mc Bride scored at the back post. Letterbarrow kept going and had couple of efforts from distance. Cappry had a chance to make it 3 but failed to convert from the spot. Cappry did make it 3 when Paddy Mc Nulty headed home from a Peter Sweeney cross. Cappry added a fourth when Peter Sweeney finished from the edge of the box. Gary Wilson made it 5 when he scored with a volley from edge of the box. Ryan Mc Gee made it 6 when he found the net with a free kick from 20 yards.

Cranford United 3 v 0 Gweedore United
Cranford got a deserved and well needed win at home. The 1st half was a tight affair with little chances, it was Cranford who took the lead after 40 minutes when Cathair Sweeney turned his man inside out and buried the ball in to the bottom corner. In the second half, it was close again but Cranford created the better chances. It was 2-0 after the hour mark when Danny Mc Bride poked the ball home from a Kyle Mc Fadden corner. Cranford wrapped the game up with ten minutes to go when Cathair Sweeney again turned his man and put a great cross in for Paddy Sheils to slide home. A great team performance with Cathair Sweeney and Jay Maguire the stand out performers.

Glenea United 1 v 0 Convoy Arsenal
This match was decided by a 20th minute PJ Doogan penalty after Shaun Curran had been fouled in the Convoy penalty-area. Referee: Sean O’ Donnell

Lagan Harps 1 v 4 Letterkenny Rovers
Letterkenny eventually wore down a brave performance from Lagan as they continue their pursuit of the league title. Letterkenny were on the front foot from the start with Lagan showing the odd threat on the counter, mainly through some good crossing from Oisin Harkin. Lagan then suffered a huge blow when Dylan Doogan was sent off after thirty minutes for a crazy swing at Leon Doherty. Lagan dug in and took the lead on forty-three minutes. A long throw in was flicked on and Kenny Doran headed home. Letterkenny threw everything at Lagan and equalised on fifty-two minutes. Lee Mc Monagle headed home a Joel Gorman free at the back post. Ciaran Quinn responded with a free for Lagan forcing Mark Anthony Mc Ginley to push it over for a corner. Lagan went close again when Josh Hay headed a corner against the post. The incessant pressure from Rovers told on seventy-three minutes when sub Henry Welles fired home with his first touch. They added a third when Lee Mc Monagle swept home a cross from close in. They added a fourth with the last kick when Joel Gorman drove home from twenty-five yards. A courageous effort from Lagan who played an hour with ten men. Referee: Seamie Ferry.

Donegal Physiotherapy and Performance Centre Division Two
Curragh Athletic 1 v 3 Lifford Celtic
Lifford secured promotion to Division One with a hard-fought win over the Curragh in Killygordon. Both teams started at a fast pace but it was Lifford who took the lead on 15 minutes when a through ball deceived the Curragh goalkeeper and Shay Lindsay tapped home into the empty net. Lee White produced a fine save to keep the score at 1-0 after a fine attempt from Yahye Ahmed. Both sides struggled to create any clear-cut chances before the break as both defences were holding firm. Half Time 0-1. Justin Mc Bride doubled the Lifford lead from the penalty spot on 60 minutes. Conor Carlin made it 3-0 on 75 minutes with a good finish into the far corner. Caolan Duffy got one back for the Curragh from a brilliant free kick into the top corner with 10 minutes to go. Lifford held out for the three points and have gained promotion.
Team performances from both sides. Referee: Seamus Mc Grory

Deele Harps 5 v 2 Dunkineely Celtic
Deele hosted Dunkineely in the final game at Marty Duffy Park for this season. Deele started the brightest and a Gary Crawford free kick found Conor Catterson who headed home on 22 minutes. Deele extended their lead shortly after when a Shane Gallagher corner was headed home by the prolific Scott Macbeth on 26 minutes. Veteran Shane Gallagher grabbed the third goal on 31 minutes after being set up by Scott Macbeth. Deele grabbed number four on 34 minutes when Scott Macbeth rounded the keeper and finished well. Cameron Mahon got on the scoresheet on 55 minutes following a through ball from Gary Crawford. Deele then rang the changes and let Dunkineely back into the game with two quick fire goals from Adrian Nesbitt. Adrian Nesbitt then had a penalty superbly saved by David Arthur in the Deele goal. The introduction of Eddie Connolly settled the Deele rearguard and the game finished 5-2. Team performances, with Pearse Lindsay and Cameron Mahon impressing for the home side. Referee: Leo Devenney.

Drumkeen United 0 v 7 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.
Drumkeen played their last League game of the Season in The Donegal Physiotherapy Division Two as they welcomed Kerrykeel to St Patrick’s Park on Sunday afternoon. While there was nothing at stake for Drumkeen the visitors came into this game needing all three points to keep their hopes a of a Top 3 finish alive. Drumkeen did ok in the opening 20 minutes and managed to contain their guests fairy well. As the first half wore on Kerrykeel’s pressure eventually paid off as Shaun Kerr got his opportunity and took it well to put his team in front. Kerrykeel could then have added another but Johnny Friel saw his header go wide of the post. Drumkeen continued to defend as best they could and would have been trying to get to half time without suffering any further damage but unfortunately for them it didn’t turn out that way. Shaun Kerr added his second and Patsy Friel got his name on the score-sheet before the break to give the visitors a 3-0 lead at half time. Drumkeen now had a mountain to climb in the second half if they were to salvage something from the game. The home team did create a few chances in the second half and their Striker Freddie looked the most likely to score for them. Freddie had three good chances in the second half but every time he did he found Kerrykeel keeper Benny Friel was there to deny him. Things got worse for the hosts as the second half went on and further goals from Johnny Friel, Calum Mc Ateer, Patsy Friel with his second of the game and finally Mark Friel rounded off the scoring to make it seven for the visitor and they secured the points. Referee: Frankie early.

Drumoghill F.C. 3 v 3 Ballybofey United
It was heartbreak for Drumoghill whose gallant efforts to secure automatic promotion came within the width of a goalpost at the end of this encounter at The Moss. With the score level in the 90th minute, Stephen Craig saw his effort from 12 yards rebound back off the inside of the post before Ballybofey could clear the ball to safety and ensure they remained can still unbeaten for an entire season. Drumoghill though deserve credit for giving themselves any chance of winning the game at all after going two goals down inside the opening 15 minutes thanks to a double strike from Damien Glackin. However, Drumoghill came roaring back after reduced the deficit thanks to Gareth Hamilton’s deft flick with a back heel on 32 minutes. Drumoghill almost equalised a few minutes when later when Niall Mc Crossan’s clever through ball sent Liam O’Donnell clear but his effort just went wide from a narrow angle. Ballybofey extended their two-goal advantage on the stroke of half time when Jude Patton took advantage of a ricochet to beat Roy Duffy at his near post. Drumoghill dominated the second half and again reduced the arrears through a brilliant strike from Lee Smyth the edge of the box after being set up by Hamilton. Shortly afterwards, Drumoghill were level and this time it came from a brilliant Barry Tourish free kick from all of 40yards. Odhran Bonnar may have been unsighted and Dylan Mc Elhinney may have got the final touch but it was game on again and Drumoghill went in search of the winning goal that would secure promotion. However, the elusive winner would not come and left Drumoghill waiting on results elsewhere as Ballybofey completed remained unbeaten with one match remaining.

Whitestrand United 4 v 1 Raphoe Town
Whitestrand United took on Raphoe Town at Mc Garvey Park in one of the final rounds of matches for this season. Raphoe arrived with a youthful side looking for a positive result. The game started with both teams well organised and their intention to play passing game there to be seen. Whitestrand took lead when Paddy Sheridan played a 60-yard ball down the line setting Reece Thompson free and he finished neatly past the keeper. Whitestrand kept up pressure and on thirteen minutes the pressure told when Ronan Sweeney finished after a smart dummy by Michael Sweeney saw him smash ball into far corner giving the keeper no chance. Raphoe continued to try to stay in the game, they pushed up for a corner and were caught on the break as a good through ball left Reece Thompson free and he was clinical with his finish. The second half began in a similar fashion to the first with some fine passing moves with Whitestrand going close to extending their lead. Raphoe remained determined and got a consolation goal on 70 minutes from Ryan Kelly. Whitestrand responded to conceding in good fashion with James Tourish finishing a flowing move to make it four. Good team performance from Raphoe, Cormac Shovlin, Ronan Sweeney and Reece Thompson were best for Whitestrand.

Donegal League – this week’s results and reports was last modified: March 3rd, 2024 by Staff Writer

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *